Don’t underestimate the potential of bread pudding. It may sound like an old-fashioned holiday dessert, but switch up the flavor from sweet to savory and you have an unbeatable casserole that will feed the whole family.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cups bread cubes
- 1 cup deli ham, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the butter and melt, and then add the onions and coat them in the butter. Reduce heat to low, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the onions are golden brown.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water, and continue cooking for 10 more minutes. Set aside.
- Mix the bread cubes in a bowl with the ham and cheese. Add in the onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, mustard powder, parsley, salt, and pepper until well combined. Pour over the bread mixture, and stir gently.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9” x 9” baking dish, and bake for 45 minutes, or until set and lightly browned. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.