Toasted baguette slices are topped with grilled sirloin and cheese in this appetizer version of the classic Philly cheesesteak.
Ingredients: For the cheese sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 slices American cheese
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients: For the cheesesteaks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ lb. sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 baguette, sliced and toasted
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In a medium saucepot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour, creating a roux. Whisk in milk and simmer for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Whisk in cheese in batches until melted and smooth, and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sear steak for 2 minutes and season with garlic, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes or until steak is cooked thoroughly. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onions to the pan and sauté for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top toasted baguette slices with cooked sirloin, onions, and cheese sauce. Garnish with roasted red peppers and parsley before serving.