This risotto is jazzed up without being complicated. The rice is deglazed with sparkling prosecco and topped with freshly harvested spring vegetables—a healthy and flavorful vegan spring entree.
Ingredients: For the risotto
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ¼ cup yellow onion, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice, rinsed
- 1 cup prosecco sparkling wine
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
Ingredients: For the vegetables
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup asparagus, rough chopped
- ¼ cup fennel, sliced
- ¼ cup radish, sliced
- 4–6 peeled baby carrots with tops
- ½ cup leeks, sliced
Ingredients: For garnish
- ¾ cup watercress
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large stock pot heat oil over medium high heat. Sauté garlic and onions until translucent, about 3 minutes and add rice. Stir in rice, add in prosecco and bring to a simmer.
- Once most of the prosecco is absorbed add in vegetable broth and bay leaf. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 10 minutes or until rice is al dente, you still want some liquid in the pan. Risotto is best a little soupy.
- While the risotto is cooking. Toss vegetables with oil and season with salt and arrange on a cookie sheet. Roast for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through.
- Spoon cooked risotto onto plates or bowls, top with roasted vegetables and garnish with watercress and basil.
Tip: Roast, steam, or blanch your veggies—it’s all good. Leftover sparkling wine works well too…waste not.